This is also the time of year I traditionally show you twelve-year-old me kissing the Blarney Stone in my groovy 1970’s pantsuit.
Serves: Serves 2 - can be increased as needed.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of cooked corned beef, shredded and at room temperature or warmed
- 1 English muffin, toasted and torn into bite sized pieces (or a slice of soda bread!)
- Parsley for garnish
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (Irish cheddar if possible!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1. Poach or soft boil the eggs and set aside.
- 2. Make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat and whisk in the flour. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- 3. Place the torn English muffin or soda bread on a plate. (The reason for the tearing? I don't like struggling to cut through an English muffin when I eat eggs benedict. If you don't mind, you don't have to tear it.)
- 4. Put a generous amount of corned beef on top of the muffin. Top with poached egg, and pour the cheese sauce over all. Garnish with parsley and serve at once.