I’m having a torrid fling with ramen noodles lately, especially since I watched Episode 3 of the addictive Netflix series Chef’s Table. Yup, those 39 cent packets of evil deliciousness that we all lived on the first year we graduated from college because we couldn’t afford anything else. For years after that era in my life, I didn’t even think about ramen, much less buy it and eat it. Until recently, when for some reason I developed deep ramen yearning that led to this cheesy ramen soup, and then recently to this dish of ramen topped with a cheeseburger, a little bacon, some chopped greens and a drizzle of sesame oil over the whole thing. Yup. I’m at Defcon One, ramen-wise. Let’s make it!
Ramen noodles topped with a cheeseburger, bacon, and greens. Welcome to ramen burger heaven.Click To TweetThis recipe is pretty easy, but it’s important to get the order of things right so that everything is piping hot and perfect All At The Same Time. So here’s how things should go.
- Chop up a little lettuce. I used romaine because I wanted the nice crunch.
- Cook the bacon and cover it with a piece of foil.
- Bring the ramen water to a simmer.
- Cook the burgers in the same pan you made the bacon in. We’re making diner-style flat burgers that take EXACTLY 3 minutes, start to finish.
- At the same time, pop the ramen noodles into their water. They also take EXACTLY 3 minutes. I don’t know about you, but this seems like fate to me.
- Mix in the flavor packet with the ramen to give it that nice salty punch.
- Scoop the noodles out the liquid and pop them on a plate.
- Top with a burger, top the burger with the bacon, scatter the chopped lettuce over everything, and drizzle a little sesame oil on top. Voila!
I got the idea for this plate full of naughty deliciousness from my friend Linda, who sent me a link to a much ritzier version of this dish from Keizo Shimamoto, and sometime I will make the epic voyage from New Jersey to Brooklyn to try the real thing. But in the meantime, this more low-rent version is making me very, very happy.
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, cut in half
- 1-2 packets ramen noodles (see note)
- ½ pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 slices American cheese
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- Sesame oil for drizzling
- Cook bacon in a heavy deep skillet until done to your liking. Set aside and top with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the water for the ramen (following package directions for amount), and turn the heat under the skillet with the bacon drippings to high.
- Season the burger meat with a little salt and pepper and form into two loose balls. Place in skillet and immediately flatten them out with a spatula and don't touch them again for two minutes.
- Right after you put the burgers in the skillet, pop the ramen noodles into their water. Cook for three minutes.
- Meanwhile back at the burgers, flip them at the two minute mark. Top them with the American cheese and cook them for one more minute.
- When the ramen is done, add the flavor packet and stir.
- Time for the assembly! Take the ramen noodles out of the broth with tongs and place on each plate. Top with cheeseburger and bacon. Scatter lettuce on top. Drizzle with sesame oil. Serve at once!
Updated from a previous Framed Cooks post