Cauliflower is a weird and wonderful vegetable, don’t you think? It looks like a bouquet of flowers from another planet. A super delicious bouquet of flowers.
You want to cut that cauliflower up into nice bite-sized florets (and for a great piece on how to cut up a cauliflower, click here) and steam those florets until they are nice and tender. In the meantime, stir up a quick and easy cheese sauce that you are going to pour over the steamed cauliflower and bake until it is a wonderment of cheesy deliciousness.
Cool it off for a little bit (I know! So hard!) and then you are ready to serve up what is about to be your new favorite vegetable recipe. You’re running out to get a cauliflower right now, aren’t you? Me too!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Steam cauliflower florets until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 and butter a casserole.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Whisk in flour until well mixed.
- Whisk in milk and simmer until slightly thickened. Take off the heat and stir in cheese until smooth.
- Spread cauliflower in the casserole and pour the cheese sauce on top. Grind some pepper over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, cool slightly and serve.