Meantime you are going to make a quick and easy dressing of mayo, vinegar, scallions, some dill pickle relish and a little salt and pepper. Once that is done it’s as easy as mixing all the elements together. First toss your potatoes with just a teeny bit of vinegar, then add some cherry tomatoes, some torn up romaine lettuce and yep, a nice big heap of crispy bacon. Now gently stir in your dressing, and once that is done scatter some fresh chive over the whole glorious thing.
Now while you CAN serve some grilled burgers or chicken or steak on the side, I’m here to tell you…this salad can be the star of dinnertime all by itself.
Now what else can I BLT-ize? I’m sure I’m not done yet. :)
Recipe adapted slightly from Cooks Country
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 to ½ inches)
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 12 slices bacon, cut into one inch pieces, cooked and drained
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 6 scallions, sliced into thin circles
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, outside leaves and tops removed and saved for another use (you want the firm inside leaves only), torn into bite-sized pieces
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a large pot. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy, 12-15 minutes. Drain, place in large mixing bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon vinegar. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk mayo, scallions and remaining vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add bacon, lettuce and tomatoes to the bowl with the potatoes. Gently mix in the dressing, and then scatter the chives on top.