Asparagus and Ham Oven Frittata

There is something that is just so comforting about anything made with eggs.  I don’t know what it is about them…maybe it reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would make scrambled eggs for breakfast every Sunday.   At least I THINK it was my dad.  He was definitely the one who bought the crumb cake at the local bakery, and just on the basis of that I am going to go ahead and give him credit for making the scrambled eggs, too.

Hi Daddy!

Anyway,  this is why I love a good frittata – that and the fact that it is so dang easy to make.  Frittatas are usually made on the stovetop, but they can also be made in the oven and that is what I like to do — they are amazingly easy that way.  Now, this particular one also helped me with this little project I have going on lately, which is to try a different cheese each week that I haven’t tried before.  This particular week I tried a cheese called comte cheese, which was like a mash-up of cheddar and parmesan and was very delish…but if you can’t lay your hands on some comte cheese, a nice sharp cheddar will work perfectly well.

So here’s the deal.  Blanch a handful of asparagus in boiling water for a minute or two  - just until they are nice and bright green.  Chop up some ham (and dare I say it?  if you are clean out of ham, a handful of cooked bacon will work just fine.  Actually, if you are out of anything at all a handful of bacon will do just fine.  This is a basic truth in life.)  Mix up some eggs and toss in the ham and the cheese.  Pour it all into a round oven-safe dish.  I use a 9 inch cake pan for this – it works perfectly.  Now take your  bright green asparagus and arrange them in a pretty design, and pop the whole shebang in the oven for about 30 minutes.  Make a nice green salad in the meantime.  By the time you are finished making the salad and setting the table, your frittata will be brown and hot and wonderful.  Slice it up the same way you would slice a pie and you are all ready for the perfect comfort food meal!

Asparagus and Ham Oven Frittata

Asparagus and Ham Oven Frittata

8 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2/3 cup chopped ham
6 sun dried tomato halves, softened in water and thinly sliced
14 asparagus spears, trimmed and blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Whisk eggs and milk until well combined, and stir in cheese, ham and tomato.
3. Pour into a greased 9 inch round pan. Arrange asparagus like the spokes of a wheel.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden. Cool for 5 minutes and cut into wedges.

Recipe adapted from Il de France

Comments

1. I know what you mean about eggs. It's almost like you're eating breakfast in bed even if it's 10:30 at night and you're sitting at the kitchen table after a long day at work. I love the sound of this fritatta…I can't wait till we get some local asparagus here so I can try it! And I LOVE your cheese challenge. Comte…never heard of it but NEED to try it!

2. PoetessWug says:

Just wanted to say that I believe that basic truth in life about bacon!!…The frittata doesn't look bad either! ^_^

3. yum yum yum, i LOVE IT. i can't wait to make this for my hubby!

4. Jennifurla says:

Oh yum and pops is adorable

5. Kris @ everywhereorange.com says:

beautiful pic, I made mini fritattas this morning!!!

6. What a great dad! This looks fantastic. I love the idea of baking a frittata.

7. Indie.Tea says:

The frittata is gorgeous – love the way you arranged the asparagus.

8. Laura Keller says:

That is one gorgeous frittata! And it sounds absolutely delicious too!

9. This is dinner at my house tonight! Thanks for posting and your dad is adorable!

10. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Mmmmm asparagus :)

11. It was not as pretty as yours however it was very tasty and I would make again.

12. Anne Lane says:

So funny! I just made this two nights ago, right up to the asparagus laid out in radial fashion on the top. Except mine had onions and diced sweet potato in it along with the ham and eggs. A bit of tarragon and nutmeg. Too funny. Fed The New York husband leftovers yesterday morning.

• oooh, your version sounds FAB. That’s the great thing about frittatas, you can toss lots of different things in them and they always come out great!

13. What makes it a frittata rather than any other baked egg-and-cheese dish?
    I’ll see . I’m baking it in my cast iron skillet just because that’s how I’m used to doing frittatas!

• You know, I’m actually not sure. But oven fritatta SOUNDS good, and it tastes pretty great as well. Hope you like it! :)

14. Tiffany Spurlock says:

I made this just now and it was delicious. Looks just like the photo. My husband doesn’t care for sundried tomatoes so I left them out. I added a little salt and pepper and garlic. Made it in iron skillet because we are at our lakehouse. Light and fluffy just like a frittata should be! Wonderful dish!

1. [...] know about my love affair with asparagus.  Shaved asparagus salad.  Grilled asparagus pizza.  Asparagus frittata.  There’s pretty much no length to which I will not go to eat asparagus, and the Southern [...]

2. [...] Asparagus and Ham Oven Frittata from Framed Cooks [...]