You know how sometimes you go to a restaurant and you are helpless in the face of the Chicken Parmesan on the menu, so you order it and the server asks if you would like pasta on the side, and of course you say YES and then you have a giant plate of chicken parm and a giant plate of pasta and you momentarily don’t know which to dive into first? This recipe for chicken parmesan pasta solves that issue for you. Yes, we are talking about chicken, cheese, pasta, tomato and a little fresh basil in every happy bite. I KNOW. Let’s make some!
The pasta part can be anything your heart desires, but I like a nice short pasta for this one – the better to hold the sauce in its nooks and crannies. Campanelle is my favorite short pasta, but penne will work perfectly as well. Cook it up and set it aside while you are sautéing the chicken. Now set the chicken aside and use the same pan to make a quick sauce out of cherry tomatoes, a little cream and some spices. I know, things are looking extremely delicious at this point!
Now stir everything together with some mozzarella cheese and pour it all into your favorite casserole dish (and a note on mine because I get lots of questions about it – my dinnerware is the Portmeirion Botanic Garden collection, and over the years I have collected various and sundry baking dishes. And teapots. And clocks. I may love these dishes a lot). Anyway, pour it all your casserole, and then top it with the rest of the mozzarella. Pop it in the oven until it looks like this.
Bubbling and creamy and crispy on the edges and hello, beautiful! For the finishing touch, scatter some basil leaves on the top. Let it cool for just a few minutes and dish it out…and here it comes, the first delectable bite of chicken parmesan with the pasta and the basil and life is perfect. Because why shouldn’t we get to have our chicken parm and eat our pasta all at the same time?Print
- 1/2 pound short pasta like penne or campanelle, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, or boneless chicken breasts cut into small strips
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Preheat oven to 425.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Add to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes or until golden, turning gently with tongs halfway through. Remove to a plate and add the rest of the oil to the skillet.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and stir until softened, about a minute or two. Stir in cream, dried basil and salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and pasta and stir gently until everything is combined. Add one cup of mozzarella and stir again.
- Pour the mixture into a casserole and top with the rest of the cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!