Coconut! I am a devoted coconut lover. Coconut cake. Coconut cookies. Coconut ice cream. A few days ago I made individual chocolate coconut cream pies that will be appearing on this blog as soon as I sit down and write the post. I love ’em all. But coconut desserts are the easy part…what’s really exciting is finding a recipe that lets you incorporate coconut into the main course…now we’re talking!
I’ve run into a few of these over the years, and they have a special place in my crazy conglomerate of a recipe collection. Coconut shrimp risotto, for example. Coconut fusilli. I even have a recipe for a coconut soup. But for a coconut lover like me, you can never have too many coconut recipes, so I was more than happy to add another one to my collection. The light sauce is a combo of sweet coconut milk with spicy chili sauce and tomato sauce, and the pasta gets tossed with this sauce, some scallions and bean sprouts and fresh basil and topped with…you guessed it, more coconut!
And for dessert, I think I will have me a coconut ice cream sandwich. Because you know they are in my freezer!
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili paste or sauce (optional)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces bean sprouts
- 16 basil leaves, whole or torn
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, tomato paste, chili powder, salt, and chili paste or sauce (if using). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the drained noodles and toss. Divide the noodles among individual bowls. Top with the scallions, sprouts, basil, and coconut.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!