And the icing on the cake is that you are not going to mess up One Single Pot making these babies, because not only are the burgers cooked to your liking on the grill, but the shrimp are going on the grill as well. Butterfly them (which means running a knife along the back of them until they are almost but not quite cut in half), toss them in a little olive oil and Old Bay seasoning, and then grill them for about 2 minutes a side until they are just done. I have a seafood grilling pan that I grill shrimp in – this keeps them from falling between the grates. Which would be a totally legitimate reason for crying real tears.
(Note: one day my sweetie-pie of a nephew is going to realize that I have used this picture all over my blog and make the totally legitimate request that I take them all down. That’s a risk I’m willing to take, since even when he is wailing he is still the most adorable kid to come around since the Southern daughter was born. I may be slightly biased about all of this.)
Anyway! Once your burger and your shrimp are all nice and grilled, put everything together like this: Bottom half of roll (I like Portuguese rolls for this as regular hamburger rolls are just a tad too soft for all this action), then the burger, then some lettuce and tomato, then a generous amount of your favorite Caesar salad dressing, then the shrimp, then the top half of the roll.
Open reeeeeeeeeal wide. You know the rest.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 10-12 large shrimp, peeled and butterflied
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Your favorite bottled Caesar salad dressing
- Sliced tomato
- Portuguese rolls or other sturdy sandwich roll
- Heat your grill to high and form burgers into 4 patties.
- Toss shrimp with the olive oil and Old Bay and place in seafood grilling pan. Grill until just done, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Place burgers on the grill and grill until they are done to your liking, about 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Assemble surf and turf burgers as follows: roll, burger, lettuce and tomato, generous amount of dressing, shrimp, top of roll. Serve at once.