This easy recipe for sheet pan chicken nicoise salad combines roasted chicken and potatoes with a healthy selection of fresh vegetables for a colorful, flavorful summer supper that everyone will love! It’s the perfect one-dish way to take advantage of all those gorgeous local summer veggies.
Ah, this healthy summer chicken salad! I love it because it is a summertime spin on one of my favorite easy recipes, my one pan chicken with roasted vegetables. I love it because it is a gloriously colorful way to use so many of the fresh local veggies that are springing up all around us. I love the light lemony dressing and the small sprinkle of salty feta cheese.
And I love that you can throw it all on one platter, take it outside to your picnic table and let folks scoop up whatever they want, and then eat it under the warm springtime breezes that are finally blowing our way. This was my view a couple of nights ago when I looked up from my Adirondack chair…
Pretty springtime sky (and one not yet leafed out tree, but he’s a late bloomer. Ha!) And less peacefully, this has also been my springtime view for the last few weeks….
Yep. This is apparently now my own personal woodchuck, who climbs to the top of my poor defenseless cherry tree and munches away. And yes, I did get that close because no amount of shouting, pleading or shaking of the branches will make him budge. It’s amazing how fast he scoots the second the dog (who has no shot at catching him) starts to bark.
So Tell Me How To Make Sheet Pan Chicken Nicoise Salad…
Okay, back at the salad, it starts out the way my regular sheet pan chicken dinner does, which is by popping some boneless chicken breasts on a baking sheet with some olive oil and salt and pepper, this time with some baby potatoes, and roasting them up until they are done.
While the chicken is roasting, simmer up some green beans until they are just tender, and cut up some cherry tomatoes and (if you like, and I do) a couple of hardboiled eggs. Hardboiled eggs are one of the key features of traditional nicoise salad, and I love ’em.
You are also going to make a super simple dressing of olive oil and mustard and lemon juice and salt and pepper while the chicken and potatoes are roasting. Once the chicken is done and slightly cooled, slice it up and then you are ready to assemble!
Put the chicken slices on either one large platter or divide among dinner plates, and then surround it with the veggies. Drizzle your sassy lemony dressing on top, toss on some capers and parsley and crumbled feta cheese, and voila! A gorgeous, colorful, healthy summer chicken salad.
This recipe is totally customizable, so feel free to swap out whatever veggies you like.
Same goes for the herbs (I am going to try this with fresh thyme next!) and the cheese (grated parmesan or little mozzarella cubes would also be delicious!).
One way or the other, it’s a good and good for you way to get your summer chicken salad on!
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
This easy recipe for sheet pan chicken nicoise salad combines roasted chicken and potatoes with a healthy selection of fresh vegetables for a colorful, flavorful summer supper that everyone will love!
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 pound baby potatoes, cut in halves
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 hardboiled eggs, cut in halves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a rimmed sheet pan with foil.
- Toss the chicken breasts and potatoes with 1/8 cup of the olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and toss again. Spread the chicken and potatoes in a single layer on the sheet pan and roast until chicken is done and potatoes are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes under foil.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the green beans in simmering salted water until just done, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Shake up the rest of the olive oil with the mustard, lemon juice and zest, along with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Time to assemble! Cut the chicken into slices and arrange on plates (or all on one big platter if you prefer!). Surround the chicken with the potatoes, green beans and tomatoes and egg halves. Drizzle the lemon dressing over everything. Scatter parsley and capers and feta cheese on top, grind on a little fresh pepper and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!