This easy recipe for cinnamon sugar chocolate chip cookies adds some sweet spice to everyone’s favorite classic cookie. Perfect for the holidays, or any time you want to brighten someone’s day with an unexpected treat!
If you asked me what my favorite cookie in the whole wide world is, I would not hesitate for even one second. There are chocolate chip cookies, and then there is everything else, cookie-wise (although my grandma’s molasses cookies are a close second). So me being me, I am constantly messing around with chocolate chip cookie dough to see how many ways I can come up with making my favorites, and that is how this recipe for cinnamon sugar was born. Ready to spice up your chocolate chippers? Let’s make them!
Because let’s face it, among the many other reasons we need to make cookies, right now the holiday cookie baking season is upon us, and whether you are going to a cookie swap or needing a plate of deliciousness for a holiday party, these do pretty much taste like Christmas in cookie form.
They are also great for no reason at all. I like mine with a cup of Irish Breakfast tea, personally.
And speaking of, every once in a while the Southern husband takes me to our local tea room, where they serve cookies and scones and teeny sandwiches and inevitably he is the only guy in the place and there you have Reason # 239,493,201 why I adore him, because he is just fine with that.
Back at the cookies, these start with a standard chocolate chip cookie base, but with cinnamon added to the dough. And (very important!) you roll the balls of dough in cinnamon sugar before you bake them. That way they have some cinnamon sass on the inside, and a sparkly coating of cinnamon sugar on the outside. Happy, cinnamon sugar sigh!
Oh, and last but not least, I can’t end this post without telling you about my favorite classic chocolate chip cookie in the whole wide world, and that is my friend David’s perfect perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. He wrote about it in this article for the New York Times, and it remains my inspiration for all things chocolate chip cookie.
And so, let the cookie baking begin! Tell me about your faves in the comments!Print
This easy recipe for cinnamon sugar chocolate chip cookies adds some sweet spice to everyone’s favorite classic cookie. Perfect for the holidays!
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate morsels
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie sheets with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Cream butter and brown sugar in a mixer on medium high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate morsels.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together. Roll tablespoons of cookie dough into balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Place dough balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake until set, about 13 minutes.Cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to rack.
- Bet you can’t eat just one!