Jazz up your Fourth of July barbecue with this easy recipe for spicy, tender steak and cherry tomato skewers. They grill up in a flash!
Are you all ready for your Fourth of July festivities? Just in case you are still looking around for a quick and easy recipe for the grill, I bring you these easy, scrumptious steak and cherry tomato skewers. They cook up in a snap, and have just the right amount of spicy zing to add a little bit of fireworks to your plate. Best of all, they are a delicious all-in-one barbecue treat that will leave the regular hamburgers and hot dogs in the dust.
Ready to grill up some steak and cherry tomato deliciousness? Let’s make them!The first thing you need is skewers. I do have metal skewers hanging around my house somewhere, but I highly recommend getting yourself a pack of bamboo skewers. They are the perfect size, they are disposable, and they cool down a LOT faster than the metal ones, so if your lucky eaters want to eat the steak and tomatoes right off the skewers they can.
You will want to soak the skewers in water before you start putting the steak and tomatoes on them – this way they will not catch fire on the grill. Which of course would make your barbecue that much more exciting, but still. Soak those skewers!
While they are soaking, you are going to stir up a quick spice mixture that is going to give your supper that zing I was talking about. Toss the steak cubes with the spice mixture until they are nice and coated. And speaking of the steak, you can use any nice cut of steak for this – I have used sirloin, but when I am feeling extra swanky I go for a piece of filet mignon.
Once your steak cubes are coated with spices, thread them on to the skewers, alternating with a cherry tomato in between each cube. Now brush your skewers lightly with oil and grill them up – you only need about 3-4 minutes total for medium rare. Turn them with tongs after the first minute or so.
And that’s all there is to it! I like to serve this up with some guacamole for dunking, and a tomato and peach salad because I literally can’t get enough of local tomatoes at this time of year. Oh, and how about some shortcut blueberry ice cream for dessert? YES PLEASE.
Happy Fourth, my friends!Print
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound sirloin or filet steak, cut into cubes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Canola oil for basting
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 15 minutes. Heat the grill to high.
- Mix all the spices together and put them in a bowl with the steak cubes. Stir until the cubes are coated with spices.
- Thread the skewers with steak cubes alternated with cherry tomatoes and brush with a little oil.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes total for medium rare and serve! (If you have used metal skewers, it’s best to remove the steak and potatoes first before serving, as it takes metal skewers a while to cool down.)