This easy recipe for blueberry molasses snack cake turns any day into a summer celebration! Perfect for a quick dessert or an easy summer brunch. Hurray for fresh blueberries!
This easy recipe for blueberry molasses snack cake is not only the perfect way to welcome those first fresh blueberries of summer, but it is also a happy reminder to take a moment to celebrate the little things in life. Such as those first fresh blueberries of summer, for example! As soon as the local ones come in, I buy one carton to eat all by their perfect blueberry selves, and another to cook up into something like this sweet little snack cake. For no special reason other than to celebrate The Arrival Of The Blueberries.
Ready to bake up some blueberry happiness in your kitchen? Let’s make it!This easy recipe for blueberry molasses snack cake turns any day into a summer celebration!Click To TweetOne of the things I always try and do no matter what is going on is to take time to be grateful for all the little everyday happinesses. Even when you are having one of those days, even when your head is spinning with your to-do list, even when life is going so fast it is hard to keep up, they are always there if you look for them. For example! Last week I came in to my office to find this little block sitting by my keyboard.
Okay, so that one was pretty easy to spot. I love you more too. 🙂
Or how about this…this past weekend my mama came over with all the fixings to make whole lemon lemonade, along with a pitcher of freshly brewed iced tea so that we could make Arnold Palmers.
She brought enough lemons for a double batch, because she is a double batch kind of person, and 5 minutes later we had the lemony-est lemonade you ever want to taste in a pretty pitcher on my counter. Simple, perfect lemonade happiness.
(If you want to try this yourself, all you do is put this into your blender and blend it all up until it is smooth. Because you are using a whole lemon – including the peel – it is going to have an intense lemon flavor, which is one of the things I love about mixing it into iced tea. Yum!)
Or those blueberries I mentioned.
I mean, how cheery are those? You pretty much have to smile when those first summer blueberries roll across your counter.
After you have eaten your fill of them, bake the rest into this quick and easy snack cake. It’s a pretty standard snack cake batter, except that you are using molasses and brown sugar for the sweetener, which gives it a wonderful rich flavor. And of course, it is chock fill of blueberries!
It’s the little things in life….love is all around. Sometimes in blueberry form!Print
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups blueberries
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir flour and baking powder together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Mix water, molasses and baking soda together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Put brown sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl and beat at high speed for two minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating the mixture in between. Add the molasses mixture and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat the the lowest speed just until it is mixed it. Stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into your baking pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool and then sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into squares and serve!