The slow cooker strikes again in the recipe for melt in your mouth tender brown sugar pulled pork!
And so pork and I tend to avoid each other until the Southern husband reminds me that he does love pork for supper every once in a while, and then I give the old college try one more time.
And just to prove that the whole if at first you don’t succeed thing is actually sometimes true, please meet a plate of tender, sweet, I can’t believe I finally did it slow cooker brown sugar pulled pork. Oh Happy Day!
I’m guessing the low and slow heat of my beloved slow cooker had more than a little bit to do with the juicy tender wonderfulness of this pork.
As with the slow cooker pot roast recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago that inspired this one, it cooks all day in that gentle moist heat.
And, ALSO like the pot roast recipe, it gets shredded and tossed with a sweet and savory sauce – in this case a mixture of brown sugar and vinegar and oh my my. Tender bits of pork, sweet and tangy sauce, and not a dry bite anywhere to be found.
We had ours with cheese grits on the side and roasted asparagus, but of course this would make the world’s best pulled pork sandwich. And best of all, pork and I are now best friends. The Southern husband is one happy guy. And we are all living happily ever after.
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Place pork tenderloin in slow cooker. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top, and pour 1/2 cup chicken broth around it. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before pork is done, combine all remaining ingredients, including the remaining 1/2 cup of the chicken broth, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk to combine and simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred, using two forks. Place in mixing bowl and pour sauce over the top. Mix with tongs until the pork is coated lightly with sauce.
- Serve at once, either on rolls as a sandwich or on its own!