Soft cooked eggs with creamy bacon grits just may be the ultimate comfort food! Cook up a bowl today with this easy recipe…it will turn even the most upside-down day right side up. I promise.
This is another one of those breakfast-for-supper recipes that can take your rainy, cranky weekday and turn it completely around. We’re talking soft, comforting eggs nestled in creamy, dreamy grits with bits of crispy bacon swirled all inside. One spoonful and whatever was driving you out of your mind will magically melt away, and all that will be left is breakfast for dinner happiness. That’s all it takes…one bowl of eggs with creamy bacon grits.
Now for those of you who haven’t discovered the wonder of grits, think polenta, only a little more substantial – but the same delicious corn taste. And for those of you who already know and love grits, check out my very favorite grits on the planet – the fabulous Anson Mills. Their pencil cob grits…I don’t even have words to describe the wonderfulness.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that you can customize it to your hearts content. The eggs should be soft-cooked so they melt into the grits when you break into them, but you can poach, fry or soft boil them, whatever you like best. Click here for my fool-proof way to poach eggs, and here for the perfect way to fry eggs.
The bacon can be thick cut, center cut, regular old bacon…whatever you have on hand. Sometimes I will scatter a little parmesan cheese on top, and sometimes not. The essentials are the soft eggs, the grits and the bacon, and I promise that with this particular combo, everything will turn right with the world.
You’re feeling happy just looking at it, right? Now let’s make some!Print
- 1 cup grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs, soft cooked your favorite way (poached, fried or soft-boiled)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Prepare grits according to package directions. Grits usually take about 45 minutes to cook to their best consistency.
- Stir in butter until fully melted. Taste and season with salt and fresh ground pepper as needed.
- Reserve a little of the crumbled bacon and stir the rest into the grits until evenly distributed.
- Divide the grits between bowls. Nestle the eggs into the grits and sprinkle with reserved bacon. Just before serving, break into each egg so the yolk melts down into the grits, and grind a little more fresh pepper on top. Enjoy at once!