This easy recipe for beef enchilada casserole uses your microwave to cook up this spicy, cheesy supper in no time flat! Perfect for families on the go.
Okay, I think I have oh, zero recipes on this blog that rely heavily on the microwave as the major cooking appliance. There is just something about the microwave that doesn’t feel like it is real cooking, with the exception of popcorn. Oh, and that vanilla brittle I made a ways back. But aside from that…not too much, until for some reason I took it out for a spin with this little number.
Now, this is one of those recipes that LOOK like you worked and slaved for hours in your kitchen while your teenager was watching the Pretty Little Liars marathon on ABC Family and your Southern husband was reading Moby Dick. (Side note: He’s not actually reading Moby Dick. He is reading a book called Why Read Moby Dick, and he has taken Moby Dick out of the library, but he isn’t actually reading the real thing yet. Why is all this happening? I have no idea. He’s a mystery.)
This easy recipe for beef enchilada casserole uses your microwave to cook up this spicy, cheesy supper in no time flat! Perfect for families on the go. #recipeClick To TweetAnyway, while this may look like you spent ages putting this together, it actually takes a grand total of 15 minutes. Maybe 20, if you are being leisurely.
It’s that microwave thing I mentioned earlier, which usually doesn’t end up giving you scrumptious supper results, but in this case…YUM. Spicy taco-tasting meat and gooey melted cheese mixed in with layers of corn tortilla pieces. Make sure you use corn tortillas, not flour. They are a little more substantial and will hold up with all the meat and cheese going on, and they have a great corn taste that adds to the overall delicousness.
Once you have put this together and popped it in the microwave, spoon it out onto plates, top it off with a little sour cream and give everyone a lime wedge to squeeze over the top. It’s guaranteed to tempt them away from Pretty Little Liars AND Moby Dick. (Scratching head…)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 ten ounce can enchilada or taco sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack and/or Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and lime wedges for garnish
- Combine beef and taco seasoning in large skillet and cook over medium high heat 8-10 minutes until meat is no longer pink. Add sauce, water and salsa and bring to a simmer. Simmer for one more minute then remove from heat.
- As beef mixture cooks, place tortillas in a stack and cut into one inch squares, using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears. Arrange half the tortilla pieces evenly in a microwave-safe casserole. Top with half the beef mixture and half the cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beef and cheese.
- Microwave casserole on high for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and lime wedges.