This super easy recipe for raspberry mess is a fun and festive dessert that is anything but a mess when it comes to being delicious!
Mmmm, berry season. Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries. I love them all. And looking over the list of recent recipes, it occurred to me that I don’t have one single dessert recipe other than the banana cake, so it is high time I passed along one that is easy and seasonal and good and good for you, right?
While I am pretty vigilant about having a home-cooked meal on the table most nights, when it comes to dessert I usually let the troops fend for themselves. There is usually a plate or jar of homemade something on the counter that either the teenager or I have made, and there is always ice cream in the freezer, but unless it is a special occasion I don’t usually make a special dessert. But every once in a while I get inspired by either some seasonal ingredient or a particular recipe – or in this case, both!
First of all, our local market had a stack of these gorgeous berries piled up right by the door, and look at them — how could I resist? And then I remembered that I had everything else I needed for this recipe: heavy cream, a little sugar and a package of those meringue cookies — you know, the little round ones that come in the plastic tub.
And all you do is this: Whip up the heavy cream, crumble the cookies into chunks and fold the cookie chunks and some of the raspberries into the cream, puree the rest of the raspberries with a little sugar until they are liquified into a sauce and drizzle that on top with a few extra raspberries for garnish.
I mean, I ask you: where can you find a dessert that is more dramatically beautiful AND so easy to make? And it tastes every bit as good as it looks, I promise. I have to say, this is MY kind of mess!
- 3 cups raspberries
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 ounces vanilla meringue cookies, crushed into small bits
- 1/4 cup sugar plus an extra tablespoon for the puree.
- Chill 4 dessert plates in the freezer about an hour before serving.
- Puree 1/12 cup raspberries and sugar until smooth. Strain the puree through a fine-mesh sieve and toss the solids. Set aside.
- Whip heavy cream with 1/4 cup sugar until it forms soft peaks. Gently stir in the crushed meringue cookies and 1 1/4 cups raspberries.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the berry puree into the cream mixture and stir gently until your raspberry mess has pretty stripes of puree.
- Spoon onto chilled plates, top with remaining raspberries and berry puree.