But however you get it, get your mitts on some nice ricotta and bring it to room temperature. Stir in a little fresh grated Parmesan cheese along with some chopped fresh chives and a little fresh ground pepper, and set it aside while you make the cherry tomato topping. This is as easy as sauteeing halved cherry tomatoes in a little olive oil and red wine vinegar until they are just a little bit softened, about 5 minutes or so. Taste a tomato and add a little salt and pepper…now your cheery cherry tomatoes are ready. Tell them to sit tight for a few minutes while you make your omelet.
Now the key to successful omelets is butter, medium heat and a little patience. Melt a good tablespoon of butter in an 8 inch saute pan over medium heat. Swirl it around until it is melted, and then pour in two well-beaten eggs. As the eggs cook, use a spatula to gently push the edges toward the center, letting the uncooked egg spill towards the edges. You want the eggs soft set and almost cooked…this is going to take about 2-3 minutes, tops.
Once you reach that magic moment, scoop a generous spoonful of the ricotta mixture into the center of the omelet and use your spatula to fold one side over the top of the cheese. Now slide the omelet carefully onto a warmed plate, folding the other side over the top as you slide. All that’s left to do now is spoon some of your lovely warm cherry tomatoes on top and scatter a few chopped chives over the whole thing.
When you take that first bite, I highly recommend going right for the center of the omelet, making sure you get a perfect mouthful of soft egg, creamy ricotta and sweet and tangy cherry tomato. It’s a whole new world of cheese omelet!
Serves: 2 omelets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs,
- ½ cup ricotta cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus extra for garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees (this is to keep the first omelet warm while you cook the second one)
- 2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add cherry tomatoes and vinegar and saute until just soft, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 3. Mix ricotta and Parmesan cheeses together along with chives and set aside.
- 4. Heat one tablespoon of butter in an 8 inch saute pan over medium heat. Beat two eggs together well while the butter is melting.
- 5. Pour the eggs into the skillet and cook until eggs are just set, pushing the sides of the omelet towards the middle and letting the uncooked egg spill towards the edges.
- 6. When the eggs are soft set, which will take about 2-3 minutes, scoop a generous spoonful of the ricotta mixture into the center of the omelet and use your spatula to fold one side over the top of the cheese. Now slide the omelet carefully onto a warmed plate, folding the other side over the top as you slide. Place in the oven to keep warm while you make the second omelet.
- 7. When both omelets are ready, top each one with half the cherry tomato mixture, scatter some chopped chives on top and serve at once.
Lightly adapted from the Bon Appetit recipe