This easy recipe for lemon artichoke shrimp scampi gets cooked on the grill for super simple cooking and clean-up. Full of bright springtime tastes with a flavorful breadcrumb topping.
So, we all know what Sunday is, right? Mother’s Day!! The day that moms across the land get to kick back and not cook dinner OR clean up the kitchen. (Full disclosure: this mom never cleans up the kitchen, because that is one of the Southern husband’s specialties. You can’t have him, he’s MINE.) So if you are still pondering what to make your mama on Sunday, may I recommend this easy peasy recipe for lemon artichoke shrimp scampi? Along with being DE-licious, it also cooks up in a snap in a foil packet on the grill, meaning extremely little clean-up action for anyone involved.
So, ready for some lemon artichoke shrimp deliciousness? Let’s make it!
Of course, at this point I have to stop and send out a whole lot of love to my own mama. Here she is with her whole grown-up group of kiddos.
The two on the left are all kinds of wonderful. I leave you to draw your own conclusions about the two on the right. (Big sisters are completely and totally allowed to tease their little brothers both in person and online.)
As you know if you have been reading this here blog for a while, I got all my cooking know-how from my mama, and so this is my chance to say to the world that I am grateful to her for a million things, including the fact that I can cook well enough to have this here blog. I love you, my amazing mother!
Meanwhile back at this delectable shrimp recipe, you want to crank your grill up to medium high and grab your box of foil. I like using heavy duty foil for this recipe, but if you don’t have any handy two sheets of regular foil will do just fine. Make a lovely pile of peeled shrimp and artichoke hearts and lemon slices and butter and spices, seal up that foil and pop it on the grill. Ten minutes later you will have this…
…tender, perfectly cooked shrimp and artichokes with a lovely light, spicy lemon flavor. Pour it onto a plate and sprinkle it with some cheesy toasted breadcrumbs…
…and tell your mama that dinner is SERVED! Happy Mother’s Day, all! (Especially to my wonderful mama. Love you to the moon and back.)
This easy recipe for lemon artichoke shrimp scampi gets cooked on the grill for super simple cooking and clean-up. Full of bright springtime tastes!
- 1 slice bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and sliced into quarters
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 package artichoke hearts (9 ounces), thawed
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Chopped parsley and lemon wedges for garnish
- Whirl the bread in your food processor until it is chopped into crumbs. Put the oil in a skillet over medium high heat and add the bread crumbs. Stir until they are golden brown and crispy, and set aside.
- Take four sheets of heavy duty foil (or double up eight sheets of regular foil) and divide the shrimp and artichokes among the four pieces of foil. Top with a lemon quarter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, a teeny pinch of red pepper flakes and one tablespoon of butter for each packet. Seal the packets up tight, leaving some air inside so the steam can build up nicely.
- Place the packets on a grill that has been heated to medium high and cook for 10 minutes with the lid down.
- Meantime, mix the zest from the lemon and the cheese into the breadcrumbs.
- Carefully open the packets, slide the shrimp mixture onto plates, sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and serve.
This is lovely just as it is, but it’s also wonderful served over pasta or polenta!