Swap out the hamburger roll for a juicy tomato and get healthy with this fun and easy recipe for delicious tomato bun burgers! Grab some napkins and bite into a whole different kind of burger scrumptiousness.
This idea for tomato bun burgers was born during one of my summer rounds of the Whole 30. I was already completely accomplished in the whole idea of using lettuce instead of regular hamburger rolls with my burgers, but because I can never leave well enough alone, I was always on the lookout for healthy hamburger roll alternatives.
And then one day while strolling by a display of particularly lovely local tomatoes at our farm market, a giant lightbulb went off in my head. Tomatoes. Burgers. Who doesn’t love a slice or two of juicy sweet tomato on their burger…but what if those slices were the BUN? Could it work? I think you know the answer…let’s make it!
The burger part goes exactly the way it usually does, and if you didn’t see my recent ramblings about how to make the various types of burgers, click here for the thick tavern burger recipe and here for the thinner diner burger version.
The difference here, of course, is the tomato part. You want a good sturdy tomato for this – I love the heirlooms, and beefsteak tomatoes work well for this too.
Slice off the top inch or so of the tomato, and the bottom inch or so. Save the middle for something else – you can chop them up and use them in salad or guacamole later in the day! Put the slices cut-side down on some paper towels and let them drain while you cook the burgers up.
Once the burgers are ready, spread the tomato tops and bottoms with whatever fixings you like – I love mayo and some curly lettuce and pickles, but you be you – and then pop your burger on top. Now a word to the wise: as you might expect, these are JUICY. As in, I highly recommend having a hefty supply of napkins around. But the gorgeous tomato flavor is worth each and every dribble down your chin.
Tomato bun burgers! I think my work is done here. :)
- 4 heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- Your favorite burger toppings (mayo, lettuce, pickle, etc!)
- Cut a 1 inch slice off the top and bottom of each tomato and place on a paper towel to drain a little. Save the middle to use in something else (chop them up for salads, etc.)
- Toss the beef with a little salt and pepper and form into patties. Heat a griddle or pan to high and cook for 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare (longer if you like your burgers well done.
- Spread the tomato slice tops and bottoms with mayo and/or other toppings. Place a burger on each tomato bun bottom, and cover with tomato tops.
- Take a big bite, and have napkins ready – these are juicy!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and along the way my recipes have also been featured in places including Huff Post, the Today Show, BuzzFeed and Glamour. My mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!
Framed Cooks is delighted to have appeared on these great sites!