This is also the time of year I traditionally show you twelve-year-old me kissing the Blarney Stone in my groovy 1970’s pantsuit.
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day, my friends! May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of cooked corned beef, shredded and at room temperature or warmed
- 1 English muffin, toasted and torn into bite sized pieces (or a slice of soda bread!)
- Parsley for garnish
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (Irish cheddar if possible!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Poach or soft boil the eggs and set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat and whisk in the flour. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Place the torn English muffin or soda bread on a plate. (The reason for the tearing? I don't like struggling to cut through an English muffin when I eat eggs benedict. If you don't mind, you don't have to tear it.)
- Put a generous amount of corned beef on top of the muffin. Top with poached egg, and pour the cheese sauce over all. Garnish with parsley and serve at once.