This easy recipe for bacon and egg risotto takes your favorite breakfast ingredients and turns them into a creamy comfort food supper! It’s the ultimate version of breakfast for dinner, and a stand-by favorite in our house when we want warm and wonderful comfort food.
We’ve had this creamy, comforting bacon and egg risotto for supper more times than I can count, because not only is it the most warm and soothing bowl of deliciousness, but we always seem to have all the ingredients on hand. Bacon (of course), eggs, rice, chicken broth, butter, cheese, WINE. With all those fabulous things coming together, it has to be good. And it is!
One of the things I love best about this recipe is that you are going to start out by cooking the bacon, and once it is done, everything else is going to happen in that same pot. Meaning that the risotto is going to be infused with a subtle but glorious flavor from those bacon drippings. Oh yes.
This easy recipe for bacon and egg risotto takes your favorite breakfast ingredients and turns them into a creamy comfort food supper!Now, there are various theories on how to cook risotto, and I know one of them is that you have to stand at the stove and stir it for the whole time that it takes the rice to cook. And while I know the Southern husband would do that for me, I am on the other side of the risotto-cooking fence. I add the liquid in increments the way you are supposed to, but I find that giving it a stir now and then works just fine.
It also frees me up to make the other critical part of the recipe, which is the poached egg. I used to suffer from poached egg fear, until I gathered my courage and figured out that making poached eggs is a snap. Click here for my guaranteed to be perfect poached eggs recipe, and I promise you too will be a poached egg expert.
Once the risotto is tender and the eggs are poached, all that’s left to do is to slip an egg into each bowl of risotto, gently break the egg so it melts into the rice and grab your spoon. Happy sigh.
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
This easy recipe for bacon and egg risotto takes your favorite breakfast ingredients and turns them into a creamy comfort food supper!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine boxed variety)
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add bacon. Cook until bacon is crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add rice to the pan and stir for a minute or two. Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Now start adding the broth ½ cup at a time, letting the rice absorb each half cup of broth before you add the next one. Stir from time to time. This should take about 25-30 minutes.
- While the risotto is cooking, poach the eggs by bringing a large deep skillet of water to a simmer. Crack each egg into a small bowl, then gently slip each one into the water. Cover the skillet, move the pan to a cool burner and let the eggs sit in the water for exactly four minutes. Then scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put them on a plate.
- Back to the risotto: when the rice is cooked, stir in the butter, bacon, chopped parsley and cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide the risotto among 6 bowls and top with a poached egg, and garnish with a little more cheese and parsley. Break the egg so the yolk spreads into the risotto.
- Serve at once. Be very happy!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!