This warm ham and potato salad is made even more wonderful with fresh green beans! A great way to use up leftover ham and add in flavorful veggies.
We are smack in the middle of fresh vegetable season…they have us surrounded, and I love it. I’m looking for any and all ways to fresh-vegetable-up every meal we have, and this is one of my new favorite ways of dealing with the piles and piles of fresh green beans. I buy them by the boatload at our local farm market, and while I am perfectly content to crunch on them just as they are, they are also the perfect mix-in with ham, baby potatoes and a light mustard dressing. Quick and easy and summertime delicious!
Start out by boiling up a bunch of these guys.
When they are about 3 minutes away from being done, add the string beans to the pot. They will cook up to be crisp-tender while the potatoes are finishing.
In the meantime, cube up some ham, and whirl up the easy dressing in your food processor. Once the potatoes and beans are done, drain them and run them under cool water to take just a little of the heat off. Then add them to a big bowl along with the ham and the dressing and mix it all together.
As always, my best advice is that clean hands are the best salad mixers you have – make sure everything gets a nice light coating of that delectable mustard dressing.
And that is that! Warm and wonderful suppertime salad, and hurray for fresh green beans…and hurray for summer!Print
This warm ham and potato salad is made even more wonderful with fresh green beans!
- 1 pound baby potatoes, scrubbed and cut into halves or quarters
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 pound ham steak, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 8 minutes.
- Add green beans to the pot and continue boiling for another 3 minutes.
- Drain the veggies and run a little cool water over them to take a little of the heat off.
- Add the veggies to a large bowl, and add ham.
- Make the dressing by mixing together all remaining ingredients, either by hand with a whisk or in a small food processor. Add to the bowl and with clean hands, mix everything gently together and serve!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!