Cream cheese is swirled into this recipe for a warm and wonderful cream cheese and chive potato soup for the perfect winter supper!
We’ve just been liberated from the 8 inches of snow that just fell on us (there’s nothing more exciting than the sound of the plow truck coming to set you free!) and now they are telling us a possible blizzard is bearing down on us. I mean, really.
I know it is January and all, but I think one major snowstorm a week is plenty. But since nobody is consulting with me, the only thing I can do about it is make soup. Lots and lots of warm and wonderful soup. Soup with potatoes and carrots and cream cheese and chives. Soup with BACON. Let’s make soup!
Specifically, let’s make cream cheese and chive potato soup!
One of the things I love about this soup is that while it is for all intents and purposes a potato soup, there are a lot of other veggies playing supporting roles and giving it a richer flavor. Onions, celery and enough carrots to give it that pretty color.
All of these get simmered up with chicken broth and potatoes – I love Yukon Gold potatoes for this recipe by the way – and then whirled in the blender until it is mostly smooth. I like to leave a few little chunks, but if you like things perfectly smooth then you be you.
Cream cheese is swirled into this recipe for a warm and wonderful cream cheese and chive potato soup for the perfect winter supper!Then…then comes the beauty part. Remember the hunk of cream cheese that I swirled into my creamy slow cooker chicken tacos the other day? I used the rest of it in this soup. Creamy, dreamy, delicious. And THEN I garnished the whole thing with a nice thick piece of bacon and some zingy chives.
Take THAT, storm. Because while there may be some of us who actually enjoy standing knee-high in the snow…
…I am one of those who likes slurping warm cheesy potato soup by the fire and dreaming of spring!Print
Cream cheese is swirled into this warm and wonderful potato vegetable soup for the perfect winter supper!
- 2 pieces of thick cut bacon, cut in half
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 good sized Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters (no need to peel unless you want to!)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a heavy deep pot until crispy. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Add onions, carrot and celery to the pot. Cook veggies over medium heat until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes and simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to blender (or use an immersion blender right in the pot) and blend until mixture is almost smooth – or all the way smooth if that is the way you like it!
- Return to pot, turn heat to medium and stir in cheese until melted. Stir in chives.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish each with a bacon slice and some chives and serve!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!