Turn leftover chicken into an easy elegant supper with a lemon and some linguine with this easy recipe for lemon chicken pasta. It’s so simple to make, and has a bright and cheery lemon flavor that will have them begging for another serving!
There are a few recipes in my collection that are near and dear to my heart not only because they taste so dang good, but because they remind me of wonderful times. My mama’s cream scones. My grandmother’s molasses cookies. My baby girl’s favorite banana muffins. The back of the Nestle’s chocolate chip bag recipe for chocolate chip cookies that my friend Lynne and I have been making since we were nine years old. And this lemony, buttery, easy lemon chicken pasta recipe.
I’ve made this about a million times over the years because it is so easy and delicious, but the time I loved best was on a winter weekend many moons ago up in Vermont with two of our best friends. We all went up to my favorite place in the world, aka the Vermont Cabin. It was February, and it was Vermont, so there was snow. Lots of snow.
The Southern daughter was about five years old at the time, and like five year olds everywhere, she thought hurtling down the hill on her sled was pretty much the best thing she had ever done in her life.
Anyway, going out to dinner up in my beloved part of Vermont requires a good half hour to 45 minutes in the car, and the cabin has a lovely, cozy kitchen, so one night we decided to cook in. There’s Janet cooking, and the Southern daughter setting the table, and me looking all bossy. I have no idea what that’s about.
And since we were all tuckered out from our snowy day, we wanted something easy as well as delicious, and yep, you guessed it. Lemon Chicken Pasta! A little cooked and shredded chicken, some lemons, some pasta, a handful of herbs, some butter and we were on our way. A little while later we were eating and laughing around that table up there, and even though it was lo these many years ago, every time I make lemon chicken pasta it zaps me right back to a snowy weekend with best friends.
So from me to you, here’s one of my favorites for you to share with good people you love!
- 8 ounces linguine
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped parsley, chives and thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Thin lemon slices for garnish
- Cook pasta in heavily salted water until done. Reserve one cup pasta water and drain.
- Meantime, heat butter in large skillet over medium heat until melted. Add chicken and stir for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Stir in herbs and lemon juice.
- Add pasta and cheese to chicken mixture and toss. Add just enough pasta water to form a light sauce.
- Divide among plates, garnish with extra herbs, cheese and lemon slices and serve.