This easy recipe for pasta with tomato veal sauce is not only all kinds of elegant, it’s also quick enough for you to hang out with your dinner party guests! (And PS, it’s also amazing on a busy weeknight!)
One of the things you must, must, must have in your arsenal of recipes are ones that you can make for company…and that don’t have you slaving in the kitchen for hours, or worrying about whether or not they are going to come out okay. Welcome to one of those recipes.
For me, the reason for having folks over is to spend time with them, and while I am perfectly happy to have them hang out in my kitchen with me while some of the cooking is going on, I also love sitting down with them in the living room or the back yard or wherever the case may be, laughing and talking and having a glass of wine without fretting over an exotic dinner. If you are in the kitchen the whole time, you miss things.
Like when your parents and your aunts and uncles hear a song they like and start dancing on your patio.
If you are in the kitchen, you might miss the chance to hold a baby with a bow on his head.
Or miss seeing someone use the water in the beer barrel to cool down his tootsies.
It’s the little things in life, and I don’t want to miss ’em. And at the same time, I want to give folks a dinner that tastes special. And this is one of my recipes that lets me do that – a fabulous, creamy veal sauce that takes no time to make, but is still different and scrumptious and a little special. Make sure you get a nice short pasta that will hold the sauce nicely…penne or rotini or bow-tie pasta will all work.
This easy recipe for pasta with tomato veal sauce is not only all kinds of elegant, it's also quick enough for you to hang with your dinner party guests!You use ground veal, which you brown up with some chopped scallions…then add in some canned diced tomatoes (I love the Muir Glen brand), some cream, some white wine and some tomato paste and simmer it all up until it thickens just a little. Toss it with the pasta, grind some fresh pepper on top and voila! Easy, elegant dinner entree.
Add one easy salad, one easy dessert (click here for my favorite dinner party dessert!) and you are free to take goofy pictures with your brothers and sister in the back yard.
I know, we are simply too cool for our own good. What can I say? Other than, here’s the recipe!Print
This easy and elegant recipe for pasta with tomato veal sauce is not only perfect for your next dinner party, it gives you lots of time to hang out with your guests!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 14 ounce canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 ounces campanelle or other short pasta (penne, rotini, etc)
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in large skillet. Add veal and 3/4 cups scallions and cook until veal is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cream and tomato paste to skillet, stir and then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce. Keep simmering another two minutes until pasta is hot and coated in sauce.
- Taste, season as needed with salt and pepper, transfer to plates and garnish with remaining scallions and parmesan cheese.