The secret ingredient to this tender, delicious barbecued ribs recipe known as Grandpa’s Coca-Cola Ribs? Coca-Cola soda and some fatherly love! Perfect for your next family party.
My all-time favorite recipe for tender, delicious, perfect every time ribs is this one for Grandpa’s Coca-Cola Ribs, which are just what you think they are. Juicy ribs marinated in, among other things, a bath of Coca-Cola soda (or Dr. Pepper, if you prefer), which gives them an amazing consistency and an even more amazing taste. And while I wish I could take credit for this one, it’s actually all about my dad.
Here are my adorable parents, who are just about to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary. With all their friends. And all our giant extended family. At my house. Please pray for good weather.
Anyway, my mom has always been an amazing, phenomenal, extraordinary cook. As a matter of fact, when I did the “All About Me” section on this blog and described myself as a self-taught cook, more than one person who has known me for a while pointed out that I actually had a pretty fantastic teacher, otherwise known as My Mother. Totally true! I probably should have mentioned that.
At any rate, she was and still is a virtuoso in the kitchen. Fresh-baked bread, home-made pasta, chocolate mousse cake, veal Oscar, marinated mozzarella, the best scones in the entire world, I could go on and on. My dad…well, he made some pretty great scrambled eggs over the years, but he was mainly relegated to kitchen clean-up crew along with the rest of us.
However. Over the past few years, I have had more than one great meal at their house, and complimented my mom on whatever it was, and she said these four words that were not usually ever strung together in my childhood home:
“Your father made it.”
Macaroni and cheese. Shredded beef barbecue sandwiches. And lately, these ribs that are the sweet and spicy kind that literally fall off the bones as you eat them.
Dad? Dad, is that you?
So when he made them for dinner over Memorial Day weekend, I thought that’s it, the world must know about this. And here is a quick video to show you just how easy and delicious my dad’s ribs are…Print
The secret ingredient to this tender, delicious barbecued ribs recipe? Coca-Cola soda and some fatherly love! Grandpa’s Coca-Cola Ribs!
- 4 lbs bone in pork ribs
- 3 cups Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Place the ribs to a large glass or ceramic baking dish and pour 2 cups of Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper over them. Reserve the third cup of the soda for a sauce to be made later. Cover the pan securely with plastic wrap and let the ribs marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup of soda into a blender or food processor and add the ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, pepper, dry mustard, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- Put the ribs in a roasting pan that has been coated with cooking spray, brush liberally with part of the sauce, and roast covered in a 225 oven for about 2 1/2 hours or until until very tender. (Can be done the day before. )
- To finish, grill the ribs over high heat, basting with some of the leftover sauce until the outside is crispy, about 10-15 minutes. While the ribs are cooking, simmer the remaining sauce for about 20 minutes until a little thick.
Check out the step by step video in the post to see how easy these ribs are to make!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!