Before I start my love-fest about this recipe for migas, let me state for the record that this is an Irish girl trying her hand at this Tex-Mex dish….and now that I have my disclaimer out of the way, let me also say that this is a quick and out of your mind delicious conglomeration of scrambled eggs with pieces of crispy fried tortillas, sweet onion, tomatoes and cheese, topped with a squeeze of lime juice.
I KNOW. After a couple of weeks of peppermint and chocolate everything accompanied by gallons of wine and eggnog, I not only want migas, I need ’em. And happily for me and for you, we can have ’em in 15 minutes from start to finish. Let’s make them!Take your eggs from good to spicy delicious greatness with this easy recipe for migas!Click To TweetAfter several weeks of feasting with holiday abandon, this week between Christmas and New Years is the week the Southern husband and I start slowly coming down to earth, supper-wise. Promptly on January 1 we will dive into the Whole 30 again, but I like there to be a slow roll from eating chocolate dinner mint cake for breakfast to my Whole 30 breakfast of hard-boiled eggs with steamed broccoli, and migas are a perfect way to make that transition. We like them for dinner as much as we like them for breakfast, so double win!
You start with a few corn tortillas that you have cut up into little squares with your kitchen scissors. (I know you have kitchen scissors.) Fry them up in a little vegetable oil until they are nice and crispy and then scoop them out onto some paper towels.
Now add some chopped tomatoes and a chopped sweet onion to the pan and stir them around until they are nice and soft. While that is going on, whisk up some eggs, milk and salt until the eggs are nice and frothy. This is excellent exercise and will work off every single holiday calorie you have consumed. HA.
When the veggies are soft, pour in the egg mixture and let it sit for a minute or so, and then start to stir it around until the eggs start to scramble. Add the fried tortillas and the cheese and gently stir just until the eggs are set.
At this point you dish them out onto warmed plates and top them with any or all of the following: lime slices, sour cream, chopped avocado, hot sauce, etc. etc. etc. Since we are in our virtuous week and are already having tortilla pieces and cheese, we angelically went with just the lime slices. But you be you and load up those migas any way your heart desires.
And with that, I’ll see you on the other side of 2016 with a healthy recipe to kick off your (and my) 2017!
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar or Jack cheese
- Toppings! Lime wedges, chopped avocado, hot sauce, etc!
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large deep skillet. Add tortilla pieces and cook, stirring here and there, until browned and crispy. Remove with tongs or slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion and tomato to skillet and cook until onion is softened.
- While veggies are cooking, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper until eggs are frothy.
- When onion is soft, turn heat to medium low and pour in eggs. Let sit for one minute and then stir gently until eggs start to thicken.
- Add tortilla pieces and cheese and stir gently until eggs are scrambled to your liking.
- Divide among warmed plates and serve with your choice of toppings!