There are so many things to love about bacon and egg baked potatoes. Obviously the creamy egg that cooks in the potato. Obviously the BACON. But not so obviously, the fabulous fact that you scoop out the potato insides, mash them up with some butter and milk and salt and pepper and smush just enough of them back into the potato to make a nice little bed for your egg to cook in. And that means that each bite is full of egg and bacon and mashed potato. Boom.Breakfast, lunch or dinner - this recipe for bacon and egg baked potatoes is perfect for them all!Click To TweetYou start with as many baked potatoes as you have people, and I will state for the record right now that I am a firm believer of making baked potatoes in the microwave. Give them a few jabs with a fork to get some steam holes going and about 8 minutes later your potato is as cooked and tender as if you spent an hour or so waiting for it to do the same thing in the oven. I have conducted much scientific research comparing the two, and I am here to tell you that you can have that 52 minutes of your life back. Microwaves and potatoes are meant to go together.
Once your potato is cool enough to handle, cut it in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the insides. Mash it together with a little butter and milk, and if you are feeling particularly decadent, a spoonful of cream cheese.
Now put enough of the mashed potato mixture back into the potato shell to fill it up around the sides and about halfway up the bottom. You want to leave enough room for your egg to have a nice cozy next.
Pop the potatos onto a baking sheet and carefully break an egg into each one. Try and keep the yolk whole, as this will make for maximum creamy egg wonderfulness when you are done. Bake them for about 20 minutes, and in the meantime cook up some chopped bacon and slice up a few scallions. When the eggs are soft-set, plate them up, scatter them with bacon and scallions, and serve ’em up.
Or we could just go ahead and eat both halves and eat salad tomorrow.
- 1 potato
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 scallion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Prick potato with fork and cook in the microwave until a paring knife goes into the potato easily, about 8 minutes. If you are cooking multiple potatoes you may need an extra few minutes. Cool until you can handle them and cut them lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Carefully scoop out the potato without breaking the skin. Mash the insides with butter, milk and cream cheese if using. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the potato skins with the mashed potato mixture, all the way up the sides and about halfway up the center, leaving room for your egg. (You will have extra mashed potato – save it and heat it up for lunch with a poached egg tomorrow!) Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and crack an egg into the center of each one. Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is soft set.
- While the potato is cooking, chop up the bacon and cook until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- When the potato is done, place on a plate, scatter with bacon and scallions and serve!