It’s also made in a 13×9 inch pan…no cake layers, no elaborate frosting…it’s a stress-free cake. The yellow cake mix is doctored up with butter and eggs and sour cream, and the filling is a mixture of cinnamon, brown sugar, a little of the cake mix and chopped pecans. The original recipe calls for regular pecans but I had some sugared ones hanging around from the holidays, and oh my my.
So if you have a honeybun of your own who might like a slice or two of this, it’s the kind of thing you can whip up on a lazy weekend afternoon just because. No reason other than you love them.
- One 15.2 ounce package yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker SuperMoist butter yellow cake, which is where I got the recipe - from that box!)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans (I used sugared pecans, but you can use either, or even walnuts)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (more if needed to make the glaze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- 2. Put ½ cup of cake mix into a small bowl.
- 3. Put the rest of the cake mix into a large bowl with the butter, eggs and sour cream. Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon to the reserved ½ cup of cake mix and stir.
- 5. Spread half of the cake batter in the pan. Sprinkle with the pecan mixture. Drop the rest of the batter in spoonfuls over the top of the pecan filling, and then smooth the spoonfuls together until they cover the filling.
- 6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. The cake should spring back when you touch it with your finger.
- 7. Mix confectioner's sugar, milk and vanilla together. The glaze should be pourable - if it's not, add more milk by teaspoonfuls until it is. I needed 2 additional teaspoons.
- 8. Pour the glaze over the cake and spread quickly with a spatula. Cool for one hour and then it is ready to be cut into squared and served to your honeybun, with a kiss!