Now a word to the wise with these babies – they SPREAD as they bake. I scoop them up into brownie cookie batter balls onto my cookie sheet, and before I know it they have softened and spread into those slender round cookies you see in the picture above. So make sure you leave a good 2 inches of space in between cookie dough spoonfuls. I also highly recommend cooking them on either parchment or silicone baking mats (love my Silpats!) for ease of getting them off the cookie sheets once you bake ’em.
Let them cool for about 5 minutes once they are out of the oven, and then let them keep cooling on wire cooling racks. At which point you will notice that as you come in and out of the kitchen, there are fewer and fewer mocha brownie cookies on the racks.
Hmm. Highly mysterious. (Not really.) Happy mocha brownie cookies, everyone!
- One 18.4 ounce package regular brownie mix (no fancy stuff!)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Combine all ingredients except for walnuts and beat at medium low speed for one minute. Stir in walnuts and beat at low speed until well-combined.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie (they spread as they bake!)
- Bake for 8 minutes or until crispy at the edges. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes and then remove to finish cooling on racks.