You know those days when you really, really, really want a homemade cookie, but the thought of the mixing and the baking and the cooling and the cleaning up makes you reach for the box of supermarket cookies instead, when what you really wanted was the homemade deal? That is where these delectable little rum balls come in. They require exactly no oven, no cookie sheet, no baking, no cooling and about 15 minutes from “I think I want a cookie” to popping into your mouth.
Now roll the dough into little balls (about one inch across), and then roll the balls in a little powdered sugar until the are nice and coated. And that’s it – you’re done.
Seriously! Done. Homemade cookies. Ready for the eating. Sometimes the easiest things are also the most delicious!
- 1¾ cups powdered (confectioner's) sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup Nilla Wafer fine crumbs (from about 1½ cups cookies processed to crumbs in food processor)
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts (from about ¾ cup walnut pieces processed to crumbs in food processor)
- 6 tablespoons soft butter
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- Combine sugar, cookie crumbs, walnuts, butter, 2 tablespoons water and extract in mixer. Mix until a stiff dough forms, adding another tablespoon of water if needed to make the dough come together.
- Take scant tablespoons of dough and roll them in your hands into ball shapes, and then roll in powdered sugar to coat.