You also need the ingredients you usually find in gingerbread – molasses, ground ginger and all that good stuff – and you also need mini loaf pans. If you don’t have them, I highly recommend getting yourself a set. I make everything from baby banana gingerbread to little baby meatloaves in them. It’s helpful when your baby goes off to college and takes all her friends with her and has a fine old time carousing with other college students and leaves you with only your husband and a hound dog to cook for.
Aren’t they adorable? I kind of want to jump into the picture and clean up their dorm room, though. Just a little.
Meantime, you are going to mix up all that banana gingerbread deliciousness and scoop it into your mini loaf pans and bake it up. And when it is cool, you are going to sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Be generous with the sprinkling.
One of the nicest things about making baby banana gingerbreads? You have a couple to share, and one to keep all for your very own self.
And we all lived happily ever after.
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ cup molasses
- 3 eggs
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375, and grease three mini loaf pans (5x3x2).
- Combine flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in banana, butter and molasses until well blended, about 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Stir in eggs until well combined.
- Divide batter among loaf pans and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for about 15 minutes, then continue cooling on wire racks.
- When completely cool, gently spoon powdered sugar into a wire mesh strainer, and shake the strainer over the loaves to garnish.