Love grilled cheese? Love breakfast sandwiches? Welcome to your new favorite sandwich, these creamy grilled egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches! You might find yourself wanting them for both breakfast AND lunch.
I love a good breakfast sandwich, and spent AGES perfecting my version of the best traditional bacon egg and cheese on a roll – click here for that one, complete with video. But I also love a warm and toasty grilled cheese sandwich, which I have been known to make complete with a macaroni and cheese filling. So naturally it was only a matter of time before I smooshed the two of these together and voila! Dreamy, creamy grilled egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches.
So here’s how this goes. You need to find some nice soft bread, and slather one side with either mayo or soft butter. And I know right now some of you are saying WHAT? MAYO? But if you think about it, mayo is made out of eggs and oil, which makes it a perfect coating for a grilled cheese sandwich. I promise. And I also totally understand if you want to stick with butter.
Love grilled cheese? Love breakfast sandwiches? Welcome to your new favorite sandwich, these creamy grilled egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches!Then smoosh a little egg-sized indentation into the bread and crack an egg into it. Scatter on some shredded cheddar, top it with the other piece of bread, and cook it up in a skillet until both sides are golden. When it comes out of the skillet it will look like any other ordinary grilled cheese sandwich…
…but then you cut it in half and this happens.
I know. I KNOW! And for those of you who like your eggs a little firmer, just leave it in the skillet for a few more minutes.
I think that is all I have to say about creamy grilled egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches, except to reiterate that you are absolutely allowed to have them for lunch and dinner as well. Happiness!Print
Love grilled cheese? Love breakfast sandwiches? Welcome to your new favorite sandwich, these creamy grilled egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches!
- 4 slices bread
- Mayonnaise or soft butter
- ½ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (see note)
- 2 eggs
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with mayonnaise or soft butter. Lay the pieces mayo-side-down on a cutting board or other washable surface.
- Smoosh an indentation into each piece of bread that goes to about a half inch from the crust. We are making a little well for the cheese and the egg!
- Carefully crack an egg into the little well. Divide the cheese among the two sandwiches on top of the egg.
- Top with the other two pieces of bread. Press lightly along the edges to seal it.
- Put 2 tablespoons of butter in a griddle or a large skillet over medium high heat. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the sandwiches to the griddle and cook until golden on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Carefully turn them over and cook for another five minutes.
- Transfer to plates and give your lucky sandwich eaters a knife and fork for this creamy, dreamy egg sandwich!
Note: We love making our grilled cheese sandwiches of all kinds with mayo on the outside instead of butter – we find that the oil and egg in mayo gives it a nice golden crust. But if mayo on your grilled cheese sandwiches flips you out, it is totally fine to use butter!
Also, if you want a firmer egg inside, just lower the heat to medium and increase the cooking time on both sides by a few minutes.
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!