Love avocado toast? Then you are going to adore this easy recipe for avocado toast pizza with chopped tomato, cheese and a hint of lemon flavor! All the healthy goodness of avocado toast in a fun shareable supper.
Things I love in this world (this is not the full list, just for the record!): Avocado toast. The Southern husband. Artisan candles. Pizza. And so in the interest of having them all in one place, I wrote out this recipe for avocado toast pizza, lit a Northern Light candle (more on them later) and served it up to the Southern husband for supper.
And yes avocado toast lovers of the world, it was everything I hoped it would be. Ready to avocado-toast your pizza? Let’s make it!
So, Northern Lights candles. I picked up one for my studio at the wonderful JK Adams Kitchen Store in Dorset Vermont, and it is my new candle crush. It is currently sitting on my studio table being all kinds of peaceful and beachy.
Northern Lights makes all kinds of candles, but the Windward Collection in these sweet green glass jars are my fave. My entire immediate family? These are what I want for Christmas please, in all the different aromas. Oh, and just for the record, the Northern Lights people don’t know me from a hole in the wall- this is my very own candle-obsessed opinion talking. Amen.
Meantime back at the avocado toast pizza, you want to start with a lovely pizza crust that you are going to fully cook before you adorn it with the avocado part. A pre-made crust will work just fine, but here’s my very favorite homemade pizza crust recipe from the Norbert’s Kitchen blog. One way or the other, you are going to start by cooking up your pizza crust on the stovetop in a cast iron or other oven-safe skillet, and then finish it up in a hot oven. It’s one of the few times I get to crank my oven up to 500, which is deeply satisfying.
While the crust is cooling, you are going to smoosh up some avocados with lemon juice and salt and pepper, and then spread it on the pizza dough. Scatter on some tomatoes and goat or feta cheese (I go back and forth but this version has goat cheese) and some lemon zest.
And if you are a sweet and salty person like me, drizzle on a little honey. TRUST ME. What’s your favorite off-beat pizza? Tell me in the comments!Print
Love avocado toast? Then you are going to adore this easy recipe for avocado toast pizza with chopped tomato, cheese and a hint of lemon flavor!
- 1 batch of pizza dough (see note)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3–4 avocados, peeled and pitted
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese, your choice!
- Honey (optional but so good!)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees (yes, 500!) and grease a 12 inch cast iron or other oven-safe skillet with olive oil.
- While the oven is preheating, roll the pizza dough out into a roughly 13 inch circle and press it into the skillet, making a little crust along the edges by turning the edge of the dough over. Put the skillet on the stovetop and cook over medium high heat until the bottom is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is browned, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the crust cool a little in the pan while you make the topping.
- Scoop out the avocado insides on to a cutting board or large plate and smoosh with a potato masher or fork until it is as smooth as you like – we love a few chunks! Pour the lemon juice over the top and mix. Sprinkle on a pinch of salt and pepper and mix again.
- Carefully transfer the cooked pizza crust onto a cutting board and spread the avocado mixture over the top. Sprinkle on the chopped tomato, cheese and lemon zest. Grind a little more pepper on top. And if you REALLY want to go crazy, drizzle a teeny bit of honey over everything (the whole sweet and salty thing is delectable!).
- Cut into wedges and serve!
You can absolutely make this recipe with the pre-made pizza dough in the refrigerated section of your supermarket, but if you want to make your own dough, Roberta’s Pizza Dough is the best recipe I know – click here to see how to make it!