This recipe for easy skillet meatloaf lets you make this suppertime favorite faster and more easily by trading the loaf pan for a skillet!
This recipe for easy skillet meatloaf was born by virtue of the fact that I recently got myself a new cast iron skillet. In my house, any new kitchen item needs to be inaugurated with a seriously good recipe, and when you are welcoming something as substantially important as a cast iron skillet, that is even more important. As much as I love cooking up a mess of eggs in a frying pan, I needed something more dramatic. More beloved. More memorable.
And so I took my favorite meatloaf recipe, which is filled with a mixture of beef and pork and veal and carrots and scallions and parsley and other good things, and I did a skillet version. And oh my goodness. Let’s just say that the new skillet was successfully inaugurated, and I may never go back to the loaf pan version again, for multiple reasons. Want to know what those reasons are? Let’s make it!
Reason #1: Skillet meatloaf takes about half the time of regular meatloaf. Yep, we are talking about less than half an hour of total cooking time, as opposed to the hour or so regular meatloaf tends to take in the oven. And we all know that sometimes it is SO hard to wait.
Especially when meatloaf is involved. This one bakes for about 20 minutes in the oven, and then finishes off under the broiler for another 5 minutes or so.
Reason #2: Lots of crispy crunchiness. We all know that one of the best parts of the meatloaf is the crispy edge, and in the loaf version there is just not enough crispy edge to go around. Here the entire top is a marvel of crispiness, with tender and veggie-filled meatloaf underneath. Happiness!
Reason #3: This is basically meatloaf in pie form, so instead of struggling to cut slices of the loaf without things falling apart on you, you simply cut out wedges, slide your trusty spatula underneath them and voila! Dinner is served.
Thank you, brand new cast iron frying pan. I see lots of skillet meatloaf in your future!Print
Easy Skillet Meatloaf
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix (pork, beef and veal) or you can use all ground beef
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Ketchup for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 425. Add oil to an oven-safe skillet and spread with a paper towel so the bottom is coated,
- Combine all remaining ingredients except for the ketchup until well mixed. Pat them into a pie shape in the skillet. Drizzle ketchup over the top in a cross-hatch pattern (or really in any pattern you like!)
- Bake for 20 minutes until the meatloaf is firm. Change the oven to broil, and broil for about 5 minutes until everything is nice and crispy on top.
- Cool for about 5 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.
I'D LOVE IT IF YOU WOULD RATE THIS RECIPE
(AND COMMENTS ARE WONDERFUL TOO!)