This chicken with white wine gravy recipe was born of the fact that if there are two things I always have in my house, they are chicken and wine. And the fact that during the week I don’t want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen, but I also don’t want to give up a little elegance in my dinner even if it IS Wednesday. So if you want to have your cake and eat it too, elegant but super easy dinner-wise, break out your own chicken and a bottle of white wine, and let’s make chicken with white wine gravy!
The night I made this, I had a hankering for that Jamie Oliver chicken with milk recipe that I am obsessed with, probably because I keep my favorite food pictures on a screensaver and it had popped up in the morning. But glorious as it is (and it IS glorious!), it involves whole milk and a lemon and 90 minutes, and I didn’t have any of those things on hand. Plus I had a day that had me feeling like this….
You know those days, right? By the way, that top book in the stack is The Boys In The Boat. SO. GOOD. Anyway, I surveyed what I did have, and I went ahead and seared a couple of chicken breasts in some olive oil until the skin was golden and crispy. Then I flipped them over, poured in the white wine with a little chicken broth and popped the whole thing in the oven until the chicken was done. I always find the oven delivers a super tender and juicy chicken.
When the chicken is done, all that’s left to do is whisk a little flour and wine in with the liquid that is already in the skillet until you have a lovely light gravy.
We were easing ourselves off the Whole 30 when I made this, so I virtuously served it with roasted green beans…but I know for a fact that this would be AMAZING with some of that white wine gravy drizzled over a side of mashed potatoes or polenta.
So there you have it. Easy elegance, straight from the pantry!Print
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a deep oven-safe skillet, and sprinkle in half the thyme. Add the chicken, skin side down, and let it sear until golden (about 6-8 minutes). Don’t move the chicken while it is searing.
- Turn the chicken over with tongs and pour 1/2 cup of the wine and all the broth over the top of it. Sprinkle the remaining thyme on top and put it in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and cover with foil to keep warm. Put the skillet on medium low heat and whisk in the flour. Bring to a simmer and then whisk in the rest of the wine. Simmer until slightly thickened.
- Serve the chicken with the white wine gravy drizzled on top.