It’s a cookie! It’s a brownie! It’s both!! Let the holiday baking begin with this super easy recipe for mocha brownie cookies!
It’s a brownie! It’s a cookie! It’s a super-easy concoction made of brownie mix, a little bit of instant coffee, walnuts and a few other ingredients that come together to form something that is partly cookie, partly brownie and all the way wonderful. Let’s just say that the cookie jar was full of the these, and let’s just say that the Southern husband (who normally is not someone with a sweet tooth) made short work of these. As in, almost instantly gone. They are THAT kind of good.
Start with a package of your favorite brownie mix…just the regular variety, nothing fancy with chocolate syrup packets or frosting or all that other stuff that is in the ever-expanding brownie section of your supermarket. You also need just a tablespoon of instant coffee mix…it’s going to give your cookies just a teeny, perfect hint of coffee flavor. Some cinnamon, some butter and eggs and vanilla and chopped walnuts and you are on your way!
Now a word to the wise with these babies – they SPREAD as they bake. I scoop them up into brownie cookie batter balls onto my cookie sheet, and before I know it they have softened and spread into those slender round cookies you see in the picture above. So make sure you leave a good 2 inches of space in between cookie dough spoonfuls. I also highly recommend cooking them on either parchment or silicone baking mats (love my Silpats!) for ease of getting them off the cookie sheets once you bake ’em.
Let them cool for about 5 minutes once they are out of the oven, and then let them keep cooling on wire cooling racks. At which point you will notice that as you come in and out of the kitchen, there are fewer and fewer mocha brownie cookies on the racks.
Hmm. Highly mysterious. (Not really.) Happy mocha brownie cookies, everyone!Print
- One 18.4 ounce package regular brownie mix (no fancy stuff!)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Combine all ingredients except for walnuts and beat at medium low speed for one minute. Stir in walnuts and beat at low speed until well-combined.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie (they spread as they bake!)
- Bake for 8 minutes or until crispy at the edges. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes and then remove to finish cooling on racks.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and along the way my recipes have also been featured in places including Huff Post, the Today Show, BuzzFeed and Glamour. My mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!
Framed Cooks is delighted to have appeared on these great sites!