Your favorite sandwich turns into dinner with this bacon, lettuce and tomato pasta recipe. With baby spinach playing the part of the lettuce in this scrumptious supper spin on this classic, you’ll never think about a BLT the same way again!
Okay, so any of you who have been reading this here blog for more than a week or so know that I consider bacon to be one of the main food groups. Bacon popcorn, bacon guacamole, bacon and and egg burgers…BRING HOME THE BACON.
So what took me so long to make bacon, lettuce and tomato pasta? Who knows…but I finally did. Because if it’s good enough for a sandwich, it’s good enough for pasta. Right? Right!
How to make BLT pasta!
Please meet the cast of characters. The first one needs no introduction.
The tomato part is not being played by big guys (which are not in season anyway…I’m counting the days) but by cherry tomatoes, which somehow manage to remain sweet and wonderful all year long, and which come in various fun colors.
I went with red ones for my inaugural making of this dish, just to be a purist.
Now comes the lettuce, and while I am all for trying offbeat cooking methods (and there is a grilled Caesar salad recipe on this here blog which yes, involves grilling the lettuce), the part of the lettuce in this recipe is being played by its close cousin, baby spinach.
Good and good for you, although I did get some sass from my multigenerational house when I told them I was making BLT pasta for Sunday dinner and there was some spinach involved.
Last but not least…the piece de resistance…once you have this glorious concoction all assembled, you sprinkle on a generous handful of garlic bread crumbs that you have toasted in olive oil.
Now, there are a few other fabulous players in the supporting cast (white wine, chicken broth but you are already in, right? So I’ll just pipe down and get right to the recipe, so you can get right to making it/eating it/dreaming about it/making it again. :)Print
Your favorite sandwich turns into dinner with this bacon, lettuce and tomato pasta recipe. You’ll never think about a BLT the same way again!
- Make the breadcrumbs by heating olive oil in a large skillet, adding bread crumbs and stirring until golden, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- Cook bacon in the same skillet until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add tomatoes to skillet with bacon drippings and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until they are broken down a little.
- Add wine to skillet and simmer until wine is almost evaporated. Add broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Add spinach to the skillet and toss with tongs over low heat until it is wilted. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add pasta and bacon and toss again until well mixed.
- Divide among plates, top with bread crumbs and serve!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!