Bacon heaven comes with a little cornmeal and brown sugar in this ultimate recipe for cornmeal and brown sugar crusted bacon! Crispy, sweet and savory all in one easy recipe. Can you say BACON?
As any of you who have been reading this blog for more than a week or so know, I have a love affair going on with bacon that is on the level of Scarlett and Rhett, or at least the cute guy from Love Actually who is head over heels for Keira Knightley.
My love is true and ever-lasting, and I will put bacon in anything from cinnamon rolls to pralines. Some of my friends are a little concerned about me (you know who you are!) but hey, when it comes to bacon, I gotta be me.
I also completely enjoy it in its natural state, cooked up just the right amount of crispy and chewy alongside some sunny-side up eggs, but now that I have tried this spin on regular bacon, I’m going to have a seriously hard time going back.
I belong to the cook-bacon-in-the-oven camp…it is SO much easier and more reliable than doing it on the stovetop or the microwave, and a million times less splattery. And this version is an oven version, but with a quick twist that takes bacon to whole new heights of wonderfulness.
Here’s how you make cornmeal and brown sugar crusted bacon!
You start out with your favorite bacon (mine is Oscar’s!) and then you dunk it in a mixture of cornmeal, brown sugar and just a pinch of black pepper. Smoosh that sweet and zingy mixture allllllll over your bacon.
Let it stand for a few minutes (SO. HARD.) and there you have it. My all time favorite way to eat bacon.
So if you are ready to take your bacon to the next level of wonderfulness…go get that cornmeal and brown sugar out of the pantry. You’ll never go back.Print
Bacon heaven comes with a little cornmeal and brown sugar in this ultimate recipe for cornmeal and brown sugar crusted bacon!
- 1/4 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 16 thick bacon slices
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge bacon slices in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Place half of bacon in a single layer on a lightly greased wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Repeat procedure with remaining bacon, placing on another lightly greased wire rack in a second jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned and crisp. Let stand 5 minutes.