I should start talking about this recipe for torn egg salad by saying that while eggs are definitely among my top ten favorite foods, I’ve never really liked egg salad all that much. Poached eggs, soft scrambled eggs, eggs in clouds…I adore them all. But egg salad? Not so much. But then I tried making my own version with large pieces of hard boiled egg tossed gently with herbs and scallions and just a little mayo and some fresh lemon juice. And I served it up on a bed of polenta. And lo and behold, an egg salad lover has been born!This recipe for torn egg salad spiffs up this lunch classic with herbs and lemon.Click To TweetYou start with a nice bowl of eggs.
The Southern husband and I are super careful about where and what kind of eggs we buy. In an ideal world I would love to have my own chickens, but until that day comes we look for eggs from pastured or cage-free chickens, and when we can buy local eggs we go for it. If you want to look for local eggs near you, Local Harvest is a good place to check.
You also want some nice mayo...making your own is super easy, but the store-bought kind also works just fine. And a handful of your favorite herbs…I am using up my basil and parsley while it is still growing outside my door, but this nice flexible recipe will be happy with whatever your favorite herbs are!
Hard boil the eggs, and when they are cool peel them and tear them into large but still bite-size pieces. Thin your mayo slightly with a little cider vinegar so it makes a light sauce and toss it with the eggs ever so gently – you want to keep those nice big pieces of egg intact. Shake on a little salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl, mix together your chopped herbs with some chopped scallions, a little lemon juice and some olive oil. Now, I like to serve this up on a bed of polenta, but it would also be terrific on a piece of buttered toast, or if you are being extra virtuous, on a bed of baby spinach. Pile the egg salad on top of whatever you want to serve it on, and then pile the herb mixture on top.
And just like that, I am an egg salad groupie!Print
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonaisse
- 1-2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked polenta, grits, toast or spinach to serve the salad on (optional)
- Hard boil eggs: Bring a large pot of water to a simmer, gently add eggs and simmer for 9 minutes. Remove into a bowl of ice water until eggs are cool enough to peel. Peel and tear the eggs into large pieces and put in a bowl.
- Mix mayo with enough vinegar to make a light sauce. Toss it gently with the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix herbs, scallions, olive oil and lemon juice together.
- Divide egg salad among plates, either by itself or on a bed of polenta or spinach or a piece of buttered toast. Top with herb mixture and serve.