Get the grill nice and hot and grill the steak for about 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. This is NOT the kind of marinade you want to baste with…the alcohol will cause it to flame up…but don’t worry, because the nice long bath the steak took earlier in the day will have flavored it up well.
Now (here comes the hardest part) let the steak sit under foil for at least 5 minutes. If you don’t do this, all the lovely steak juices are going to run out onto your cutting board instead of staying inside the steak where they belong. Which will make your dog happy if she gets the leftover steak juices poured on her kibble…
…but I’m thinking you might want to keep those steak juices for yourself. So, five minutes. Then cut the steak against the grain into lovely thin slices, and serve it up. And I guarantee you that whatever was driving you crazy just a little while ago will be just a dim memory once you are in the middle of noshing on the deliciousness that is drunken steak.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 flank steak (anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds, depending on if you want leftovers. I always want leftovers, personally.)
- 1 cup rum
- 1 lemon, cut in half and squeezed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ⅛ cup brown sugar
- Pierce steak a few times with a fork on both sides.
- Place steak and all remaining ingredients into a large ziplock bag. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- When ready to cook, turn grill on high. Remove steak and throw marinade away - don't baste with it. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes under foil, slice thinly across the grain and serve.