The batter for this scrumptious banana concoction is a mixture of cream cheese and butter, brown sugar and eggs, flour and sour cream and vanilla and a few other things, all topped with a mixture of cinnamon sugar and walnuts. And bananas! All of this gets mixed together, spooned into your friendly skillet, and popped in the oven until it is nice and golden and your kitchen smells like cinnamon and bananas and heaven.
And of course, you serve it right from the skillet. Warm.
Serves: Serves 8-10
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 eight ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 10 inch oven-proof skillet with cooking spray.
- 2. Beat butter and cream cheese together in a mixer until well combined. Add brown sugar and then eggs, one by one.
- 3. Mix bananas, sour cream and vanilla together, and then add to the butter mixture. Mix to blend.
- 4. Whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda together, and then add to banana mixture, mixing slowly unti just combined.
- 5. Mix walnuts, sugar and cinnamon together.
- 6. Transfer banana mixture to skillet. Smooth the top and sprinkle with the walnut mixture. Bake until golden, 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 7. Cool for about 15 minutes and then serve warm - right out of the skillet!