Once you have the dressing mixed up, let it sit while you chop up your shallots (in nice little slices), your tomatoes (cut in halves and quarters), and your avocado (cut in chunks). Crumble up the feta, slice up some fresh basil and you are ready to roll. Place all the veggies and half the cheese into a mixing bowl. Pour the dressing over it all and with clean hands, gently toss it by hand until everything is well mixed and coated with dressing. (I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…the best and only way to toss salad is with your hands. Plus it makes a great moisturizer, what with the olive oil and all.) Now sprinkle the rest of the feta on top.
It’s just the thing to get us through those last agonizing weeks of waiting for that first perfect big juicy Jersey tomato. The waiting…it’s the hardest part!
Serves: 2 large or 4 small servings
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- I shallot, sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves and quarters
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Sliced fresh basil
- 1. Make dressing by putting vinegar and oil in a jar and shaking vigorously. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2. Place shallot, avocado, tomato and half of the feta in a bowl. Pour dressing over and mix gently with clean hands. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- 3. Divide among plates and garnish with the rest of the crumbled feta and sliced basil. Serve at once.