And you know what all THAT means. Yes, a mad rush to use up any last local tomatoes that are bravely hanging on.
I do love fall, but I always get a pang when I realize that the tomatoes and basil are over for another year. If you are still lucky enough to have some in your neck of the woods, here’s a quick and delicious recipe that combines those beloved tomatoes with shrimp, feta cheese and a few other good things. It comes together in a snap, and while we like to have it with some bread on the side to sop up the gorgeous garlicky sauce, it’s also pretty dang great spooned over linguine too.
Goodbye, tomatoes…until we meet again!
- 5 large tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1½ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Feta, crumbled
- crusty bread, for serving
- Heat oven to 450° F. Place the tomatoes in a large baking dish and spoon the olive oil and garlic over them.
- Sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon each salt and pepper and toss. Roast on top rack of oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and stir in the shrimp, parsley, and lemon juice. Sprinkle with the Feta.
- Return the dish to oven until the shrimp are cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm with the bread.