Yum, chicken piccata. This is what I call a Monday Supper. Monday Suppers, since they are on Mondays, need to be simple, fast, totally reliable and with as few ingredients as possible. Because they fall on MONDAYS, which are the opposite of slow, lazy Sundays, where spending the afternoon in the kitchen making something long and complicated is a wonderful thing. But 24 hours later, long and complicated is no longer wonderful. Short and simple, that’s what Monday dinners are all about.
And so chicken piccata, that is why I love you, with your very few ingredients and your warm, lemony, buttery taste. You are the perfect Monday Supper. This is a very easy supper, but you must use nice chicken breasts — not too thick, not too thin, about 1/2 inch thick is perfect. Pound those babies if you have to, although I find if you use the chicken labeled “thin cut chicken breasts” you are usually okay. Fresh lemon juice – I buy two lemons for this dish. One for the juice, and one for those pretty lemon slices I use as garnish. Fresh chopped parsley. I love roasted aspargus with this dish, but it would also be great with sauteed spinach, or surrounded by rice with some of the pan sauce drizzled on top. Or both.
Anyway…here is chicken piccata for a Monday Supper. It makes Mondays feel so much better…and then before you know it, it’s Tuesday, and the weekend is practically here.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- In a small bowl, beat the egg together with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix up the flour and pepper. Dip the chicken in the egg/lemon mixture, then in the flour.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and brown the coated chicken pieces.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the chicken broth and pour liquid into skillet. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, turning chicken pieces after 10 minutes, until chicken is tender. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh parsley.