This easy recipe for grilled bacon potato packages cooks up tender baby potatoes in foil packets on your grill. Sour cream and chives round out this delicious side dish, and there’s practically no clean-up!
My friends, it is AUGUST! Why is summer so short and winter so long? Every August I wonder about this, and I remind myself to start appreciating all the outside summer things before I have to start wearing sweaters again.
Some members of our family don’t need to be reminded. Nope, they happily lounge around in the sun soaking up those summer warm and fuzzies.
As for me, I push the grill into overdrive with everything from steak to salad (yep, salad), and one of things I love about this particular recipe for grilled bacon potato packages is that it can cook right there on the grill next to whatever else you are grilling up.
Here’s how you make grilled bacon potato packages!
It’s starts, as so many wonderful things do, with bacon. Snip some bacon into bite sized pieces, cook it up, scoop it out to drain on paper towels, but hang on to those magical bacon drippings in the pan.
Now cut a pound of baby potatoes in half – no need to peel them, just scrub them up well. Next, grab some aluminum foil. If you have heavy duty aluminum foil just tear off four squares, and if you have regular aluminum foil tear off eight squares and double them up.
Divide the potatoes in equal sized piles amongst the four foil squares, then dot them with butter, drizzle on some bacon drippings and sprinkle them with pepper. Now gather up the edges of the foil and seal it up tight. There’s no special way to do this, just smoosh the edges together until everything is nice and snug
This easy recipe for grilled bacon potato packages cooks up tender baby potatoes in foil packets on your grill. Sour cream and chives round out this delicious side dish.Pop the packages on the grill over medium high heat and let them cook for about 20 minutes. The heat is basically steaming them, and the butter and bacon drippings are sinking into them, and some of the potatoes on closest to the foil are getting a little charred and oh my gosh.
After 20 minutes take them off and let them sit for about 10 minutes (if you are grilling steak at the same time this will give you time for the steak to also sit and for you to slice it). Now open up the packages and anoint your delectable potatoes with that bacon we made earlier, some chives and a little sour cream.
Ooh-la-la! Everyone immediately go grill yourselves some potatoes now, okay?
Want to round out your meal? This recipe pairs well with...
This easy recipe for grilled bacon potato packages cooks up tender baby potatoes in foil packets on your grill. Bacon, sour cream and chives round out this delicious side dish, and there’s practically no clean-up!
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Cut bacon into bite-sized pieces and cook in a medium sized skillet over medium high heat until done to your liking. Scoop out and drain on paper towels.
- Cut four 10 inch squares of heavy duty foil (or eight squares of regular foil and double them up). Divide the potatoes among the 4 foil squares. Dot with the butter, drizzle on any bacon drippings left in the pan and sprinkle on the pepper.
- Seal the packages by bringing the sides up and together, folding them over securely.
- Grill over medium high heat for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and let them sit for another 10 minutes or so.
- Open the packages and divide the potatoes among plates or put in a serving bowl. Garnish with the cooked bacon, chives and sour cream and serve!