Looking for the best granola recipe ever? You’ve found it! Get ready for a delicious breakfast and for your kitchen to smell heavenly. It’s amazing mixed with your favorite yogurt and some fresh fruit.
I have no idea why it has take me this long to share the best granola recipe ever with you, because this is one of the oldest and most beloved recipes in our kitchen.
It’s one that the Southern husband will take it upon himself to make if I’ve gone too long in between batches, because he pretty much can’t live without this conglomeration of nuts, grains and raisins all held together with a sweet and crunchy coating of cinnamon and molasses.
But as they say, better late then never…so let’s make it!
Here’s how you make the best granola recipe ever!
First the nuts and grains part: you are going to start by pouring a mixture of oatmeal, chopped nuts, raisins and a few other things into a mixing bowl.
And by the way, feel totally free to swap out the nuts and raisins if you have other favorites. I make our granola with walnuts and pecans, but if macadamia nuts and peanuts are more your jam, then go for it! Same goes for the raisins – I have been know to use dried cranberries and blueberries when I am feeling extra feisty.
One thing you DO need to make sure you use is regular oatmeal – not the quick cooking kind and not the steel-cut kind. I alway have oatmeal on hand in case an immediate need for oatmeal cookies comes up.
Once you have the dried ingredients mixed up and ready, you are going to make a liquid combo of molasses, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon and a few other things – simmer that up and then stir it into the oatmeal mixture and then pop it all into the oven to bake for about 45 minutes.
About halfway through your kitchen is going to smell like granola HEAVEN.
Now comes the hard part: spread the hot baked granola out on some wax paper to cool.
When it’s cooled down, it will be all crunchy and delicious and perfect. After eating a spoonful (or ten) all on its own, here’s our favorite way to eat the best granola recipe ever…
Yep, sprinkled over vanilla yogurt and topped with berries. OH. SO. GOOD.
So go forth and make granola!Print
Looking for the best granola recipe ever? You’ve found it! Get ready for a delicious breakfast and for your kitchen to smell heavenly.
- 3 cups oatmeal (the regular old-fashioned kind, not quick cooking or steel-cut)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/8 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a roasting pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all oatmeal, nuts, coconut, pepitas/sunflower seeds, wheat germ and sesame seeds together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together molasses, honey, brown sugar, water, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour the molasses mixture over the oatmeal mixture and stir until well combined. Pour the granola into the roasting pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Place a dishtowel on the counter and lay a couple sheets of wax paper on top. Pour the hot baked granola on to the wax paper and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.