This easy recipe for chocolate mint crackle cookies has all the delicious tastes of the holidays. Powdered sugar sets off the fun crackle design!
This recipe for chocolate mint crackle cookies has been a long time coming to the blog, because I wrote it up in the midst of LAST year’s holiday season, but by the time I had it all figured out my blog schedule was already full of other holiday recipes, with no room to squeeze in these cookies. As a result, the Southern daughter (who is perfectly happy to bake holiday goodies all year round) has asked me about one billion times for the recipe. Which I keep sending her, but now here it is for posterity…for her and anyone else who likes a little peppermint in their chocolate cookie. Ready for some sweet deliciousness? Let’s make them!
First of all, a word about crackle cookies. They are called crackle cookies because as they bake they develop little nooks and crannies and cracks. Which works out perfectly for these babies, because we are going to dust them with powdered sugar which is going to make the prettiest of pretty designs!
It also works out well for these babies…
…that’s right, my adorable Southern daughter and her sweet fiance are coming up for the holidays, and we are planning lots of cookie baking and holiday celebrating and WEDDING PLANNING. I can’t decide which thing I am most excited about.
And speaking of exciting, I am excited to tell you that the peppermint plate that these sweet little chocolate mint crackle cookies are sitting on is 1) made of real peppermint and 2) super easy to make – here’s the link to that recipe.
I honestly don’t see how things could get much merrier around here. And with that, I will see you again after Christmas, and in between I hope you have a delicious, happy, peaceful holiday, with lots of love from me and my family to yours!Print
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped into very small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Put chopped chocolate, butter and salt in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir, and if the chocolate is not completely melted microwave again for another 30 seconds to a minute. Stir again until everything is smooth.
- Add extract, eggs and sugar to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours – this dough will hold up to 4 days in your fridge before baking if needed!
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats. Scoop out tablespoons of dough and roll in the confectioner’s sugar until completely coated. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will spread a little bit so that “crackles” appear.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheets, then transfer to wire cooling racks and cool completely.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!