Take homemade chicken soup to aromatic new heights by adding rosemary to the mix! This easy comfort food recipe for rosemary chicken soup is ready in under an hour, making it a perfect hearty winter weeknight supper.
This rosemary chicken soup is one of my best comfort food recipes. It’s a warm and wonderful conglomeration of tender chicken and vegetables simmered up with the nutty taste of barley, and infused with one of my favorite herbs, aromatic rosemary.
It’s perfection on a chilly winter day, when you are snuggled under your favorite blanket on the sofa, holding a warm mug of soup in your hands with a fire crackling in the fireplace and your favorite movie about to begin. It’s chicken soup wonderfulness at its most wonderful. Let’s make it!
Take homemade chicken soup to aromatic new heights by adding rosemary! This easy comfort food recipe for rosemary chicken soup is ready in under an hour. It also reminds me (as all things with rosemary in them do) of my friend Rosemary. She is also sweet and sassy and full of fun and comfort.
Here’s one of my favorite pictures of her – she is the beautiful one on the left – joining in on the merriment as she and I and our friend Susan group hugged and smooched the amazing Rita Williams-Garcia the weekend she got the Coretta Scott King medal for her breathtaking book, GONE CRAZY IN ALABAMA. (I have the best day job…it’s even better than bacon.)
My friend Rosemary is Rita’s dear friend and editor, which is how I got to be good enough friends with Rita that I get to smooch her on the cheek when she wins awards for her books, which happens on a regular basis. Which just proves my point that Rosemary in all forms is a wonderful thing.
Which brings me back to this soup. It starts out as a straightforward chicken soup, full of carrots and celery and sweet chopped onion. It gets even better with the addition of either barley or farro – both are hearty and delicious grains that give this soup just the right amount of substance. But simmering it with fresh rosemary leaves is what takes it over the top to soup perfection.
And I highly recommend getting yourself a wonderful friend named Rosemary to go along with it. Delicious all the way around!
Take homemade chicken soup to aromatic new heights by adding rosemary! This easy comfort food recipe for rosemary chicken soup is ready in under an hour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, peel and cut into rounds
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 32 ounces chicken broth (I like the Imagine variety)
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup pearl barley or farro
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the olive oil in a large deep pot and heat over medium high. Add carrots, celery and onion and stir until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, poultry seasoning, chicken breasts and barley or farro. Bring to a simmer.
- Strip the leaves from the rosemary and add to the soup. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred into bite sized pieces. Return to the soup and stir. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve in warmed bowls. This is a soup that gets better over time, so make sure you make enough for leftovers!
This makes a very thick soup, so you may want to have a little extra chicken broth on hand to loosen it up, especially after it has been in the fridge overnight. If it lasts that long!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!