Try your taco in pasta form with this quick and hearty recipe for, yes, taco pasta!
I do love a good taco. I do not like the crunchy shells that shatter on first bite though. I like the taste of them…it’s the shattering part that gets me. And yes, I know I can eat tacos with soft tortillas, but recently it occurred to me that good old everyday pasta would make an excellent stand-in for the taco shell…AND I would be able to eat it with a spoon. Somehow, things taste just a little bit better when a spoon is involved. Which is the convoluted way that my recipe for taco pasta was born!
You start out the way you always do when you are making ground beef tacos – cook up the beef with some onions and some taco seasoning. When it is nice and browned, swirl in some cream cheese and some canned diced tomatoes. Once everything is all combined and creamy, stir in the pasta and some shredded cheddar. Give it another stir until everything is all nice and hot and melty.
Now dish it up into bowls and top it with a little more cheese and some salsa.
So the next time you get a taco craving, give this pasta version a try. You may ditch the crunchy shells altogether!
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 package taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- One 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole for garnish
- Brown beef and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat until beef is browned and onion is tender. Add taco seasoning and water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cream cheese and stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in pasta and cheddar and stir until cheddar is melted.
- Serve at once, topped with a little more shredded cheddar, salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!